Education in India, Career in India: Film Production
Looking for a Career Option in the Field of Film Production ? This section features Film Production as a career options in india, elaborated with reference to the job profile, personality traits required, the courses and training involved, premier institutions and future prospects.
Film is probably the broadest and most varied creative opportunity in mass media. Films, a blend of creativity and technicality are an important media, not only for entertainment and information, but also for communication. Films, the most international medium, has developed into a universal art form that transcends cultural differences. Film making include feature films, documentaries, newsreels, Promotional films, TV commercials, music Videos etc.
The craft of filmmaking is a teamwork which needs close coordination of various skilled individuals. It involves acting, directing, producing, script writing, cinematography, sound recording, visual mixing, editing and so on. A film maker like the captain of a ship has to look at all these aspects of film making. He has to start at the very bottom and work his way up. i.e. beginning with raising capital for the film to its distribution, screening as well as all the stages of its crafting.
The field of film making which is highly competitive is one that has a lot of scope for employment opportunities especially, India which releases a large number of films every year. If one has artistic and technical skills and at the same time ability to express ideas, this is the right field for you. Even for acting and directing, which are basically creative fields that require inherent talent, training helps to hone the skills. In areas like cinematography, sound engineering and editing, professional training is essential. There are several universities institutions that offer training in these areas. The pioneering institute in this line is the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune.
Artistic flair, ability to work cooperatively, sense of responsibility, ability to work under pressure, great physical stamina, strong visual sense, good communication skills and for production and direction, leadership qualities, ability to bring out talent in others, creative instincts as well as managerial and administrative abilities are essential.
There are specialised courses for all aspects of film making in which students are exposed to various types of equipment and the latest techniques of film production. What is taught in a professional training programme has to be refined upon by hardcore practical expeience.
Film and Television
- Courses in Audio Engineering
- Courses in Digital Film Making
- Courses in Media Technology
- Certificate Course In Acting
- Certificate Course In Film Direction, Cinematography, Audiography and Editing
- Certificate Course In Production and Direction
- Certificate Course In Professional Videography
- Certificate Course In Sound Recording and Reproduction
Post Graduate Courses
- Diploma In Acting
- Diploma In Audio and Video Production
- Diploma In Cinematography
- Diploma In Direction
- Diploma In Direction and Screen Play Writing
- Diploma In Direction, Acting, Videography, Film Editing
- Diploma In Dramatic Arts
- Diploma In Film Directing, Film Acting
- Diploma In Film Direction, Cinematography, Audiography and Editing
- Diploma In Film Editing
- Diploma In Film Making
- Diploma In Film Processing
- Diploma In Film Studies
- Diploma In Freehand Animation
- Diploma In Fundamental and Audio Visual Education
- Diploma In Motion Picture Photography
- Diploma In Photography
- Diploma In Production
- Diploma In Professional Photography
- Diploma In Scenic Design
- Diploma In Sound Recording and Sound Engineering
- Diploma In Video Camera and Lighting Diploma In Video Editing and Sound Recording
- Post Diploma In Acting
- Post Diploma In Film Direction
- Post Graduate Course In Cinema Studies
- Post Graduate Diploma In Video Production
- B.A (Hons) with Film Studies
- B.A in Film Studies
- Basic Course In Film and Television
- Bachelor Of Theatre Arts
- Course In Acting and Camera
- Course In Audio and Visual Education
- Course In Video Editing
- Film Appreciation Course In Cinema
- Master's Degree In Cinema Studies
- Programme In Film Studies
For technical courses basic eligibility is 10+2. For other courses it is graduation. There will be aptitude tests and interviews to assess the candidates talents. Duration of courses depends on the course one opts for and the institution chosen. There are Diploma, Post Diploma and even Certificate courses in each area of specialisation. Specialisation areas include production, direction, editing, cinematography, film processing, animation, acting, sound engineering, make up, photography and so on.
Please click here for the list of the Film production Institutes in India.
There is a lot of scope for employment in the film making line in india. Candidates can find employment with Film Studios, Production Companies, Advertising Agencies, Government Department, which make films or start their own venture as producer, director, editors, cameramen, soundmen, lighting crews, assistants and so on.
Jobs in feature film production are almost entirely freelance because of that obtaining qulifications is no guarantee of employment. Entry in the film industry is largely haphazard. Only those with flair, persevrance, networking skills and the right connections find it easy to get oppoetunities to prove themselves time and again. Once a person has been able to prove himself/herself there is no limit to the amount he/she can earn.
Earnings of workers in the motion picture production and distribution industry vary, depending on education and experience, type of work, union affiliation, and duration of employment. Salaries for directors vary widely. Producers seldom get a set salary; instead, they get a percentage of a show's earnings or ticket sales.