|UPSC - Syllabus - Kannada|
Main Examination Syllabus - Subject : Kannada
Paper-I (Answers must be written in Kannada.)
- History of Kannada Language
- What is Language? General characteristics of Language. Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features, Antiquity of Kannada Language Different Phases of its Development.
- Dialects of Kannada Language : Regional and Social Various aspects of development of Kannada Language : phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
- History of Kannada Literature
- Ancient Kannada literature : Influence and Trends. Poets for study : Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to be studied in the light of contents, form and expression : Pampa, Janna, Nagachandra.
- Medieval Kannada literature : Influence and Trends.
- Vachana literature : Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi.
- Medieval Poets : Harihara, Ragha-vanka, Kumar-Vyasa.
- Dasa literature : Purandra and Kanaka.
- Sangataya : Ratnakaravarni
- Modern Kannada literature
- Influence, trends and idealogies, Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita and Bandaya.
- Poetics and literary criticism
- Definition and concepts of poetry : Word, Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya.
- Interpretations of Rasa Sutra.
- Modern Trends of literary criticism : Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist, Post-colonial criticism.
- Cultlural History of Karnataka
- Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of Karnataka : Chalukyas of Badami and Kalyani, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara rulers, in literary context.
- Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contributions.
- Arts of Karnataka : Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance-in the literary context.
- Unification of Karnataka and its impact on Kannada literature.
Paper-II (Answers must be written in Kannada.)
The paper will require first-hand reading of the Texts prescribed and will be designed to test the critical ability of the candidates.
- Old Kannada Literature
- Vikramaarjuna Vijaya of Pampa (cantos 12 & 13), (Mysore University Pub.)
- Vaddaraadhane (Sukumaraswamyia Kathe, Vidyutchorana Kathe)
- Medieval Kannada Literature
- Vachana Kammata, Ed: K. Marulasiddappa K.R. Nagaraj (Bangalore University Pub.)
- Janapriya Kanakasamputa, Ed. D. Javare Gowda (Kannada and Culture Directorate, Bangalore)
- Nambiyannana Ragale, Ed., T.N. Sreekantaiah (Ta.Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore)
- Kumaravyasa Bharata : Karna Parva (Mysore University)
- Bharatesha Vaibhava Sangraha Ed. Ta. Su. Shama Rao (Mysore University)
- Modern Kannada Literature
- Poetry : Hosagannada Kavite, Ed : G.H. Nayak (Kannada Saahitya Parishattu, Bangalore)
- Novel : Bettada Jeeva-Shivarama Karanta Madhavi-Arupama Niranjana Odalaala-Devenuru Mahadeva
- Short Story : Kannada Sanna Kathegalu, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Sahitya Academy, New Delhi).
- Drama : Shudra Tapaswi-Kuvempu. Tughalk-Girish Karnad.
- Vichara Saahitya : Devaru-A.N. Moorty Rao (Pub : D.V.K. Moorty, Mysore.)
- Folk Literature
- Janapada Swaroopa-Dr. H.N. Nayak. (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore.)
- Janapada Geetaanjali-Ed.D. Javare Gowda. (Pub : Sahitya Academy, New Delhi.)
- Kannada Janapada Kathegalu-Ed. J.S. Paramashivaiah, (Mysore University.)
- Beedi Makkalu Beledo. Ed. Kalegowda Nagavara (Pub : Bangalore University.)
- Savirada Ogatugalu-Ed : S.G. Imrapura.