Karnataka State Level Common Entrance Test (CET) at state level is conducted by Government of Karnataka for admission to all professional courses in University, Regional, Private Aided and Unaided Engineering Colleges in the State affiliated to Vishveswaraiah Technological University.
Eligibility : A pass in 10+2 PUC of Karnataka Board or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English securing 50% aggregate marks in PCM group (40% marks for SC/ST). Candidates who have appeared in the qualifying exam are also eligible.
Admission Procedure : Application form and prospectus can be obtained from the Principal of the College/Institute or specified branches of Canara Bank on payment of requisite amount. The form can be obtained by post from the CET Cell, SJM Samudaya Bhavan, I Main Road, Ganghinagar, Bangalore 560009. Completed application should reach the institute by notified date usually on April.
Selection : Selection is based on the merit in CET conducted by the Common Entrance Test Cell, Bangalore in various centres, spread over Karnataka. Candidates are called in order or rank for spot allotment of branch/college according to availability and option exercised by the candidates.
Pattern & Medium of Examination: Test consists of objective type multiple choice questions in maths, physics and chemistry of 60 marks each. English is the medium of the examination.
Reservation of seats: 85% of the seats in the private aided colleges are free & 15% are payment seats. But in general 50% are free seats & 50% are payment seats. In the private unaided colleges each course has 50% free & payment seats respectively.
SC/ST, BC, sports, NCC, Defence/Ex-defence, political sufferers, diploma holders-5%
Domicile Restrictions: Seven full academic years of study in Karnataka. However, following criteria are given exemption.
- children of defence personnel, central government employees working for a period of atleast one year in Karnataka.
- children of MPs elected from Karnataka to the extent of the period of being an MP falling during the period of the child's study from first standard to the qualifying exam.
- children of serving or retired employees of (i) all India services of Karnataka cadre; (ii) state government who had served/are serving outside the state during the period of the child has been studying from first standard to the qualifying exam;
- children of central government employees working outside Karnataka State where such employee: (i) had declared any place in Karnataka as his Home Town, and (ii) has either studied in any recognised educational institution in Karnataka for not less than five years first standard and SSLC.
- children of serving defence personnel or ex-servicemen whose home address at the time of joining the defence services was in Karnataka.
- children of any employee transferable anywhere in India but at present working continuously for a period of at least one year in Karnataka.